The benefits of traction therapy for back pain are well-documented. There are many types of chiropractic traction therapy available, involving manual or mechanical separation of the vertebrae following a thorough consultation and examination.
What types of traction therapy are available?
Chiropractors may recommend one or a combination of these traction therapies.
- Manual traction therapy — With this kind of traction therapy, your chiropractor will manually manipulate the vertebrae with their hands to widen the spaces in between them.
- Mechanical traction therapy — This method of chiropractic traction therapy involves the use of a motorized table in conjunction with ropes, slings, and pulleys to release pressure in the vertebrae.
Causes of back pain
Back pain is one of the most common ailments to afflict the human body and can occur for a considerable number of reasons. The primary causes include improper posture, poor manual handling techniques, and obesity.
Recent statistics conducted by the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Strokes show that at least 80 percent of all Americans will suffer from some form of back pain during their lifetime.
Other spinal conditions can be passed down from parents or distant relatives, causing a lifetime of chronic pain. Even in these cases, chiropractic traction therapy may help to relieve your symptoms and allow you to live a normal life.
Action you can take to avoid back pain
Apart from dietary changes and exercise, you may also want to consider some of these other lifestyle changes to beat back pain before it can impact your life.
- Yoga has proven to be incredibly effective for individuals of all ages. You don’t have to be an expert to practice it, and the boost to strength and flexibility it can provide can drastically reduce the discomfort of back pain.
- If you practice sports or partake in vigorous exercise multiple times a week, have a sports massage on a semi-regular basis. It can help to relieve any discomfort you might be compensating for. Otherwise, you may begin to put extra strain on other parts of your body, which can lead to problems like back pain.
- Chiropractors often use heat therapy to treat a wide range of injuries. If you want to try something similar at home, a hot bath or a hot water bottle held against the affected area can provide a great deal of welcome relief from back pain.
Where to find help if you’re suffering from back pain
If you are suffering from back pain, you may benefit from a course of traction therapy. To find out more, search for a provider of chiropractic traction therapy in Garden City, MI.